Did you know?

This from Dark Hearts by Loren Pedersen.

“The patriarchal age has been a surprisingly short period compared to the matriarchal dominance lasting at least from some time during the last Ice Age up to the civilization of Crete. ”

My undergrad alma mater is Babson College. Their focus is entrepreneurial studies and/or how to become a CEO. I graduated in 1969 when the first woman student entered as a freshman. Now the majority of students are women.

What does it say about my feminine side that I cheer this? I see this as boding well for the future.

Is it the end of patriarchal age and the beginning of the next matriarchal age? If so, our future has been made brighter. My concern is that Pedersen refers to the Ice Age as our last one,  not as in no more, but as in their will be another.

10 thoughts on “Did you know?

1. lulu October 15, 2014 / 11:02 am

If it is true that change is best achieved through women, returning to matriarchal may well be a good thing.

• fictionfitz October 15, 2014 / 11:07 am

I hope you are or will be a part of it. Change is an interesting word. Many people do not like it. I see liking it or not as genderless, how about you? Do you think disliking change favors one gender or the other?

• lulu October 15, 2014 / 11:18 am

Your question merits long discussion. I’m not sure change is as gender related as it is to attitude.

• fictionfitz October 15, 2014 / 11:20 am

Agree on both counts, how is the train doing?

2. Carole Webber October 15, 2014 / 11:54 am

I thought we had returned to the Ice Age these last few New England winters. Brrr
    I am good with change but want to see more equality rather that an age of patriarchy or matriarchy

• fictionfitz October 15, 2014 / 11:59 am

right now Babson student population is at 51% female, now that is equality come close.

3. jhvn October 15, 2014 / 2:31 pm

I agree with Carole, and hope that we might be entering an integral (as in Wilber) age rather than either patriarchal or matriarchal. How about a collaborative age in which men and women actually cooperate (as in a good marriage) and individuals actually integrate their masculine and feminine sides into a more androgenous ego.

• fictionfitz October 15, 2014 / 4:32 pm

Moving toward the middle?

• jhvn October 15, 2014 / 5:08 pm

Not to the middle, but to a brand new, unheard of, intetrated, transcendent, creative force!!!

• fictionfitz October 16, 2014 / 5:04 am

As Steve Jobs is purported to have said as his last words, “Wow, Oh Wow.”