Marking Territory

What makes home, home? After growing up in one place, I left home at seventeen never to return. In part because when I left so did my parents. I went off to college in Massachusetts and they moved to San Francisco from the Camden area of New Jersey.  Once there, they made it their forever home.

I went from Massachusetts to Illinois to Southern California to Minneapolis to Iowa to Massachusetts. For the past twenty years, New Hampshire has been home. We might have one more move left in us, but at this point we would disagree as to the where.

We live in an area uncluttered by humanity. To move to a more populated area might demand what we couldn’t handle. If we both liked winters, we would be checking out plots rather than maps, but winter weather might be our own doing in New Hampshire.

On the other hand the thought of moving stuff as well as leaving behind friends and landmarks could be what keeps us put. The issue is greater for my partner. She likes growing things. I like a chair and find electric heaters cosy.

8 thoughts on “Marking Territory

1. Ann Koplow June 22, 2014 / 2:22 pm

Great question. I’ve never left Massachusetts, but I’ve travelled a lot, and I think I could feel at home in many other places. Sometimes I think it’s people who make us feel at home, not geographical locations. But I’m no expert on this, remaining in one state as I have.

• fictionfitz June 23, 2014 / 8:02 am

The more I have come to know solitude, the more I enjoy it. People are important for sure, but the new discovery for me is being alone without being lonely and its pleasures have become part of home. For me not any room will do, but one carefully crafted. Can nesting be applied to a study? When it works, whatever it is, it is home.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions June 22, 2014 / 6:43 pm

For a gardener New Hampshire’s growing season is never enough. For a professional gardener winter provides a break. It’s all in how you look at it.

• fictionfitz June 23, 2014 / 7:06 am

Maybe you could start NH Gardening therapy. I will encourage Susan to enroll.

3. Marilyn Armstrong June 22, 2014 / 10:52 pm

It’s a terribly complicated issues, isn’t it. We would all like less brutal winters … but do we want to be strangers in that strange land? And the moving is self is pretty daunting. Good luck. We’re staying put for many reason, especially that moving is just more expensive than we can manage.

• fictionfitz June 23, 2014 / 7:08 am

Maybe that’s the solution. I will call the most expensive movers and quote the price to Susan. Disingenuous?

4. Carole Webber June 23, 2014 / 10:02 am

I love the rural nature of the small town where I live and still it is not completely isolated,. I also have lived in NewYork, Florida, Michigan, short stay in Ohio, Illinois and Detroit.. ten years on Long Island, NY then to New Hampshire where I have found my haven. I love Hawaii but realize that I need the change of seasons to energize me. I would prefer that winter could be shorter but I try not to think about it too much using the time to read and write more.

• fictionfitz June 23, 2014 / 10:16 am

Preaching to the choir. Still misery loves company. Enough cliches for today. Call me if I use anymore.