Reality Can Kill Us

Friedrich Nietzsche writes, “We have art so that we shall not die of reality.”

I don’t think of Nietzsche as being the most positive guy I never met, but I like this quote. Since he is dead, I have to think I have changed and not him. Or he actually had a moment of bliss.

I take him to mean that art is as much an outlet as an escape; for the artist and the patron. What say you?

7 thoughts on “Reality Can Kill Us

1. New Hampshire Garden Solutions June 18, 2014 / 6:54 pm

Art can be used as a diversion but in the end there is always reality that has to be faced. I’d rather use art to enhance my experience of reality rather than as a way to avoid it. I’ve climbed Mount Monadnock and I also have paintings of it that are pleasant reminders.

• fictionfitz June 19, 2014 / 8:32 am

If I think of writing as art, which I do, then I find that art enhances my reality. More of my unconscious is found. It brings a new level of sight.

2. Carole Webber June 19, 2014 / 4:58 am

Here is an unhappy guy with a lack of appreciation for the creativity of the artist, Art iOS to be enjoyed. Reality is and to be faced in many other ways,
    Reality is more than art
    His depression is evident in his comments. Perhaps his brain tumor had something to do with it

• fictionfitz June 19, 2014 / 5:58 am

I thought he shows appreciation for art, not the opposite. Art becomes something special when it approaches the reality level of you can’t make this stuff up. Also, when reality overwhelms us, doesn’t art pick us up? Will you have no art in your nursing home room?

3. Carole Webber June 19, 2014 / 10:06 am

At least you are funny compared to Nietzche. You may have noticed I have many works of art in my home. They could not all fir in a nursing home room that is another reason not to go there
    If Netzche thinks art is an escape from reality, no, it onle enhances the reality of enjoyment. One can never escape reality
    Those who try to do that may be in psycho wards.

• fictionfitz June 19, 2014 / 10:09 am

Now there is a way out I hadn’t considered. See you there.

4. Carole Webber June 19, 2014 / 12:50 pm

I think not.
    Another smart philosopher said that.