Follow Your Dream Ponderings

I once was taught that the mindset of following one’s dream is a good way to go broke.  I know many close to me who would ask ( and not necessarily complimentary) when have I not followed my dream.

There is truth in this, but I kind of did it half heartedly. I think I looked for ways to have fun, but anything deeper was not a requirement. I dared not to dream. Not really.

I am fascinated with people who as part of their dream fought for a cause. My latest fascination continues to be Robinson Jeffers.

Dr. Peter Quigley in his book Housing the Environmental Imagination writes, “Five years after moving to Carmel, California in 1919, Jeffers bought 16 lots for $200 apiece, eventually owning 36 lots, none with a purchase price any higher than $3,000.” This over a ten year span.

Jeffers’s son Donnan reported that in 1977 these lots had a value of $200,000. We can only imagine what Jeffers’s dream is worth today. “Dreams, a good way to go broke.” Can I blame it on my mother?

7 thoughts on “Follow Your Dream Ponderings

1. Carole Webber June 4, 2014 / 10:15 am

No , you may not. .
    As an adult you take responsibility for your life and your dreams. or lack thereof.
    A real adult does not look for blame, he looks to himself,

I’m telling Dr. Quigley

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 10:35 am

When you talk to him, tell him I never claimed to be an adult. Case in point when I think of Dr. Quigley I also think of Uncle Wiggly.

2. jhvn June 4, 2014 / 10:16 am

From your blog, I gather that Robinson Jeffers’s cause was making money. “A cause” usually implies a some social or spiritual good. I;m surprised that you use the word “cause”, rather than Joseph Campbell’s, “follow your bliss”. You do follow your bliss, including your goal, stated above, “to expand his writings in either article or book form. His first book is planned for 2014”

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 10:37 am

You sound like my spouse, well sort of, with differences. No about Robinson Jeffers. His cause was environmental. Don’t think he thought much about money.

• jhvn June 5, 2014 / 10:12 am

Your description of Jeffers described his turned his housing investment into $200,000.
        Sorry I sounded like your spouse. I don’t intend to be a spouse to anybody – especially to you. No offense; but I value my independence too much in these geezer years.
        But what about following your BLISS whether or not you go broke???

• fictionfitz June 5, 2014 / 10:19 am

That is exactly the point. Henry Miller for sure did this. I believe Jeffers did too. Don’t think Jeffers was alive when what he bought was worth $200,000 a lot and today maybe over a million. He bought to preserve.

• fictionfitz June 5, 2014 / 10:21 am

Ps: as to my spouse, I do love her. You are in good company even if not the image you would prefer. I shall say you sound like John from now on.