Crafting a Life That Matters

Peter Quigley is his book Housing the Environmental Imagination doesn’t use the word crafting, but rather “fashioning.” Such a familiar word, but one I may have never used.

In The Oxford English Dictionary it offers, “Fashioning is to give shape to, to mold.”

Sounds like crafting to me, but that is not the point. The point is to consider how many of us get there? How many of us fashion a life that matter? Do even we even know when we have?

Quigley writes, “There is so much than conspires against getting it right. Like the crafting of a poem, one crafts a life alone.”

I guess Quigley got to that word crafting too.

He writes on, ” We do it against all odds, and we do it with the crushing likelihood that the project will evaporate, the profile will be blotted out, the language will blur, and all will be subsumed by some governing paradigm; we will fall in line.”

It has happened more than once to me. How about you? How do we craft a life that matters?

10 thoughts on “Crafting a Life That Matters

1. Carole Webber June 3, 2014 / 2:56 pm

Maybe move to Hawaii where Dr. Quigley lives ?

• fictionfitz June 3, 2014 / 3:32 pm

Ah yes, DR Quigley. I have no interest in Hawaii, should I out last my mate, I told her I m staying put or moving to Alaska.

2. SirenaTales June 3, 2014 / 4:49 pm

Thank you for the thought-provoking post…the question you pose is one I ask myself nearly constantly. The answers are slow in coming, and ever so slippery….

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 6:20 am

To craft is to care, maybe that is it.

3. M. Zane McClellan June 3, 2014 / 5:38 pm

Through trial and error …. Persistently.

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 6:24 am

Trial and error, maybe those words should be included in the definitions of fashioning and/or crafting.

4. New Hampshire Garden Solutions June 3, 2014 / 6:44 pm

My question is “a life that matters to who?” Or is that whom?
    As it says in the Ten Rules for Being Human: “There” is no better than “here”. When your “there” becomes a “here” you will simply obtain another “there” that again looks better than “here.”
    When your happiness comes from within you can be happy anywhere, with any kind of life, and there is no need to conjure up false images of a better one.

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 6:27 am

The more I can go within, the more images I imagine. Distinguishing which ones are fantasy I find not easy, but then again I have a fiction file.

5. jhvn June 3, 2014 / 9:36 pm

I am learning to pay more attention to my inner reactions to the choices before me: What emotions am I having? Are they from my fear or from some other place? How does my body feel about the choices? How does my heart/spirit/energy feel about the choices? What are my dreams telling me?

• fictionfitz June 4, 2014 / 6:27 am

I used to like choices, now I go more for backup.