Ghosts of Bliss

“The companions of Malevolence were supplied by the Furies with a torch, which had this quality peculiar to infernal lustre, that its light fell upon faults.” Samuel Johnson

“No light, but rather darkness visible, served only to discover sights of woe.” Milton

Are missed moments faults? In the sense of wanting to live the moments over again, yes.

Yet, as I think about the why of my obsession with moments I wish relived, I feel strength. If the performances of my obsession were out of depression, then I believe I would only find woe. For many years such moments relived were derived from present moments of funk.

Somewhere along the way that changed. Missed moments I attributed to my faults became teaching moments. They still are.

In that sense, I would want to relive past moments out of newly found insights. To practice what I have learned, and to arrive at my present state earlier.  For in my present state I recognize ghosts of  bliss.

6 thoughts on “Ghosts of Bliss

1. M. Zane McClellan May 6, 2014 / 7:38 am

I wonder if we would arrive any earlier or just along a different path. Not knowing the cause and affect of our choices …Wonderful piece. Thank you. ~ Michael

• fictionfitz May 6, 2014 / 8:15 am

I think you touch upon my motivation. A different path. I liked what I did, but I think I did because I adopted well. I adopted well because I didn’t know. I am not convinced I know now, but I know more which in retrospect includes knowing what I didn’t know. A circle?

2. jhvn May 6, 2014 / 10:34 am

Excellent insight. Increased light also increases the contrast of the shadow.

3. Carole Webber May 6, 2014 / 5:40 pm

That response is impossible to figure out ??????

• fictionfitz May 6, 2014 / 5:44 pm

You are truly a ghost of bliss

4. New Hampshire Garden Solutions May 6, 2014 / 7:22 pm

I think we can and should learn from the past but many of us spend our days either wishing that we could change the past or living in fear of the future, or both. By doing so we miss out on living the life that we have here before us, right now.