How Many Missed Moments?

Russian Writer Boris Pasternak said, “When a great moment knocks on the door of your life, it is often no louder than the beating of your heart, and it is very easy to miss.”

Where do you go when you read this? To missed moments realized or unrealized?

How did they come to you? Orally? Written? Actions?

I ask because I don’t know. If knowing is part of an afterlife, and if given a choice of knowing or not, I might say no.

9 thoughts on “How Many Missed Moments?

1. Carole Webber May 5, 2014 / 10:49 am

Who said that knowing is a part of the afterlife ? To know is to be like God. I do not think this is in the “death and heaven ” package

• fictionfitz May 5, 2014 / 10:54 am

Only knowing what we missed, does God tell us or not?

2. Carole Webber May 5, 2014 / 4:16 pm

We will not care what we missed and why would God tell us ?

• fictionfitz May 6, 2014 / 7:15 am

Why? I go to a thing called judgment. Do not all religions include judgment? Even Santa Claus wanted to know if we were naughty or nice. Sisyphus in Greek Mythology was punished in Hades for his misdeeds in life by being condemned to the eternal task of rolling a large stone to the top of hill. Before I start an eternity of rolling stones uphill I will want to say to a higher power, “Name once.” In that manner I will care about what I missed and bring it up in my defense. Once admitted, it is in the game, and our God will speak and we will care.

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions May 6, 2014 / 7:26 pm

I think I’ll just have to do the best I can with what I have and cross that bridge when I come to it.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions May 5, 2014 / 6:54 pm

I don’t think about what I’ve missed. In many instances knowing would only cause regret and why would I want to feel regret? The past can’t be changed.

• fictionfitz May 6, 2014 / 7:18 am

My response to Carole is meant as a response to you as well. So too is today’s post. I agree the past can’t be changed, but how I view it and how I use it, can. Loved both of your responses, I hope you elaborate with more thoughts. Thank you.

4. vanyieck May 5, 2014 / 9:21 pm

When I read that quote, I reflected on potential. In potential there is hope. I’m not certain of the necessary connection to an afterlife.

• fictionfitz May 6, 2014 / 6:29 am

Hope and potential, connections of immense importance!
      Wonderful reflections!!