Referrals

Reading Henry Miller had me pick up on a referral of his, D.H. Lawrence. I am currently reading Sons and Lovers.

Lawrence is another writer who for me releases amazing writings. So amazing I wasn’t sure why. This lead me to a Kindle Fire referral, Anias Nin. I will be reading more of both writers.

I am enjoying Nin’s comments on Lawrence in her book D.H. Lawrence, An Unprofessional Study. Her insights are equal to the task of dissecting Lawrence’s writing and psyche. She is a wonderful writer in her own right. There are many volumes published of her letters, including to Henry Miller. I am following the bliss of it all.

About Lawrence she writes, “Lawrence was patient. He gave his characters time. They are to find their way and hour of resurrection. It was very slow, this gaining of confidence in the wisdom of the body. So Lawrence was patient, through a maze of timidities, retractions, blunders, awkwardnesses. ”

One day I will  read a biography of him. I had thought he lived to the ripe old age of eighty something, but he died at age forty-five. He didn’t know his death date, but from one so insightful I would have thought his internal clock demanded impatience.

It reminds me that although I accept myself as a late bloomer, I better get on with it.

8 thoughts on “Referrals

• fictionfitz February 28, 2014 / 6:08 am

I find Lawrence’s character interaction far beyond the complexity of most authors. The frustrating relationship of son to mother has me reliving my own.

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 28, 2014 / 6:17 am

My mother died when I was a year and a half old, so I would have welcomed even a frustrating relationship with her.

• fictionfitz February 28, 2014 / 6:27 am

Now that is a different perspective from mine. Wow! I would have welcomed knowing you while growing up. Glad I know you now.

1. New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 28, 2014 / 9:26 am

Thank you, but I don’t think I would have been much fun to be around growing up. As I look back I can see that I spent a lot of time trying to fill the hole that was left when my mother died, without really even knowing what I was doing. Since my father worked 2 or 3 jobs to keep us afloat I didn’t really have a father either so I had complete freedom to basically do whatever I wanted from about 12 years old on, and a lot of kids were jealous of what I had. What they didn’t know was, I would have traded it for what they had in an instant.

• fictionfitz February 28, 2014 / 10:40 am

Sons & Lovers, a must read for all men, and women. I wrote about my father this week in Peterborough Paper (yesterday) and discussed with my two psychotherapist friends this morning at breakfast. Between all of our stories of fathers and mothers, we had us a time. If you don’t get the Ledger-Transcript and want to read my story, similar to a post, let me know and I will email to you. Interested in your further comments.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 28, 2014 / 3:47 pm

I don’t get the Ledger Transcript but I found it online. Though it has a lot of viewable information I didn’t see your story there. I’d like to read it so yes, please send it when you have time.

• fictionfitz February 28, 2014 / 4:55 pm