“Pushed to the Brink of the World”

Jung, writing in Memories, Dreams, Reflections;

I had the feeling that I had pushed to the brink of the world;  what was of burning interest to me was null and void for others, and even a cause for dread.”

What do you think he is talking about?

By way of hint, another quote from Jung, ” To my friends all of this was far worse than my preoccupation with theology.”

What fanaticism is Jung embarked upon that is so disturbing to his friends. We are told to not talk about death, taxes or politics. He has already eliminated theology.

The answer my friends might be blowing in the wind or impervious to it.

Ghosts.

What say you? Do you believe in ghosts? Have you seen one? Is there anything to fear?

14 thoughts on ““Pushed to the Brink of the World”

1. joannwentzel February 25, 2014 / 10:49 am

Robert, I do believe in ghosts. Though I have never seen them, I believe I may have been touched by one when I was much younger. My son on the other hand does see them and was the first to know when the houses we were living in were haunted. My daughter also has a bit of this ‘ talent.’

• fictionfitz February 25, 2014 / 1:03 pm

What a terrific talent to have. Or so I think. Does your son see it as a blessing or a curse? Or somewhere in-between?

• joannwentzel February 25, 2014 / 3:26 pm

I think he views it as a curse and believe I would also, but I am much more timid than he. He has had this talent or curse or whatever all through military time in the middle east as well. While there, I hoped it was benevolent spirits of past family members watching over him.

• fictionfitz February 26, 2014 / 4:14 am

A good wish, is he still in the middle east?

2. Carl D'Agostino February 25, 2014 / 5:14 pm

Ghosts? I was my mother’s home hospice nurse for last five weeks of her life as she drifted back and forth from life and the realm of death and seemed to talk as from the other side then drifting back to her bed. I hear her voice and father and I feel her presence in our dreams much more intensely and often than what most people seem to experience. Half an hour after she died a tear formed and fell from her left eye. That event leaves me astonished and bewildered and in awe. Ghosts ? Link to “other side”? Most definitely.

• fictionfitz February 26, 2014 / 4:20 am

Thank you Carl. I felt your story, a wonderful tragic tale of realities. Did you view her tear as happiness or sadness? I was not with my mother at her death in part because of my own procrastinations. Your being being willing and able to be your mother’s hospice nurse is something I can’t imagine.

3. Carole Webber February 25, 2014 / 5:48 pm

I, on the other hand do not believe in ghosts. Being Irish that is unusual as my parents were always talking about spirits, banshees, pukkas and such. Maybe I just did not want to accept them as they were scary The idea no longer scares me but I will wait for proof before I accept them

4. New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 25, 2014 / 7:33 pm

I’ve always believed that I saw one when i was very young but it could have been a dream. I remember it being very scary for a 7 or 8 year old. I quickly learned that not only is it impossible to prove that you’ve seen one; it’s just as impossible to get anyone to believe you. I don’t think we know enough to say absolutely that there are no ghosts, so I try to keep an open mind.

• fictionfitz February 26, 2014 / 4:27 am

Your words have me recalling the words, “I thought I saw a ghost.” or “I thought I saw a puddy cat. I did, I did see a puddy cat.”

“Suffering succotash!”

Seriously, the next time you see one, I look forward to hearing about it. Knowing your powers of observation, I will believe you. I do now.

5. jhvn February 25, 2014 / 10:14 pm

Only by reading Jung’s work carefully can one know what he is “talking about” or more acurately “writing about.” Jung had a strong sense that reality includes far more than this physical world we inhabit. He called it the “collective unconscious.”

• fictionfitz February 26, 2014 / 4:31 am

Jung is fascinating. Thanks for recommending this book.

6. joannwentzel February 26, 2014 / 7:14 am

Robert, he has been back home and out of the military and away from the middle east for quite a few years. He had done a tour in Saudi and one in Iraq. He said his ‘talent’ as we called it was worse or better(depending on how you look at it) there.

7. Carole Webber February 26, 2014 / 12:57 pm

My first inclination after reading Jung’s comments is that he was talking about depression not ghosts. Bt then, I did not ready the book.

• fictionfitz February 26, 2014 / 4:54 pm

Ghosts, definitely ghosts, it is not hidden in house or language.