A Gift

C.G. Jung’s father was a country parson. C.G. wrote in Memories, Dreams and Reflections that his father’s difficulties in marriage “shattered his father’s faith…..it appeared inconceivable to me that my father should not have had experiences of God…..

He had to quarrel with somebody, so he did it with family and himself….Why didn’t he do it with God?…..God would have assuredly sent him by way of an answer one of those magical, infinitely profound dreams which He had sent to me without being asked.”

These words affected me on several levels. I liked the fact that his father represented the divine. Not in mind, body or spirit necessarily, but as God’s steward of faith, and in the process, struggled with his own.

C.G. Jung goes on to write more about this, but I was left in its wake imagining a day with my own father, quarreling with him over what I thought was his unfairness and injustice.

For no reason except impatience, he confronted an Asian woman in a San Francisco Chinatown garage. He, my mother and I were on our way to dinner. As I remember, my dad  thought the woman drove too slowly.

He got out of our car and yelled, but I yelled louder. I  told him to stop yelling. He did, and then I did. Might have been my imagination, but she looked impressed.  My dad definitely contrite.

For the one and only time in my life he and I were equally confrontational.  A day I will never forget.  A gift.

10 thoughts on “A Gift

1. katebortell February 22, 2014 / 1:28 pm

Robert when I think of the kind of man my Dad was the thought of one of his children standing up to him is indeed impressive. Not even knowing your Dad i am impressed here as well. You were a man that day!

• fictionfitz February 23, 2014 / 6:30 am

It surely was a coming of age event. I must admit to zigging and zagging ever since. Thanks for your heartfelt comment.

2. Carole Webber February 22, 2014 / 4:39 pm

Is the incident in San Francisco yours or Jung’s son ?

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 22, 2014 / 7:10 pm

I’m not sure why Jung would have gone to his son with word of his experiencing God. I can’t picture myself doing that, with my son or daughter.
    I think the first time a son confronts his father is something he never forgets. If life is fair the son grows into a father himself and in turn is confronted by his son. That’s something I won’t forget either.

• fictionfitz February 23, 2014 / 6:33 am

The cycle of which you speak I think is essential to forgiveness. And your right, for father to go to son about experiencing God is an unrealistic expectation.

4. jhvn February 22, 2014 / 8:59 pm

How vital to each of us is our relationship with our father – for good or for ill. No wonder Jesus suggested that we address God as “our father”.

• fictionfitz February 23, 2014 / 6:34 am

I still think mom would have been okay too. An even more complex relationship, and what is God, if not complex.

5. Gede Prama February 23, 2014 / 1:19 am

Amazing and Thank you so much for sharing 🙂

• fictionfitz February 23, 2014 / 6:37 am

Gede, appreciate your comment. I enjoy your blog.