Beyond Celebrity

As a writer, I have writers I admire. As a reader, I have authors I admire.  Celebrities some, others not…. yet.

Same with my face to face encounters of those well-known. I have met two Presidents of the United States, one would be president of the same, and one Kennedy for who it remains to be seen.  I met Ronald Reagan, Steve Allen and Robert Goulet, all in the same space.

Did any of them change my life? I mean no slight on any of their accomplishments, but I say no. My american idol’s came from completely different venues. They stand out for me. Not for worldly achievements, but for what they did for me, seemingly without intention or effort.

One I remember in particular is a person who lived in filth. A person who seemed to have limited mental capacity. A person physically impaired. Much of how this person appeared to me, challenged me. I reached out, but not all the time. On days where their body odor was particularly bothersome, I didn’t always go the full distance for them.

One day they fell down a stairs in their home. The hospital called me to view the body. I stood there thinking I wish I had done more.

It is how I feel about many I have met. I consider this good. People who challenge me are american idols beyond celebrity.

6 thoughts on “Beyond Celebrity

1. Carole Webber February 1, 2014 / 12:33 pm

Had I lived in his time I would have been impressed with Jesus., I think.

• fictionfitz February 1, 2014 / 12:51 pm

Radical, maybe he has already visited….again.

2. Saunsea February 1, 2014 / 5:53 pm

I once lived in a commune with a bunch of awesome gentlemen. One of us rarely bathed, and I remember one of the roommates saying, in a slightly angered tone, “take a bath, you smell terrible!” Another of the roommates told the rarely-bathing-roommate, “I like how you smell. It tells me “that’s you.”

Brotherly love. Hahahaha.

• fictionfitz February 2, 2014 / 7:10 am

I bet way back that was especially true. Still, I am glad to live in the soap age.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 1, 2014 / 6:37 pm

I admire the nameless (to me) strangers who have helped me through life, like the elderly couple who picked me up while I was hitch hiking in a near blizzard, facing the very real possibility of severe frostbite. There have been many more like them. I can’t thank them because I don’t know their names, but I can try to follow their example and help a stranger in need.

• fictionfitz February 2, 2014 / 7:00 am

I guess the more risks we take the more of those experiences come our way.