What Does Adhere Bring to Mind?

For me, arts and crafts. Now you see why I am afraid of A&C.  It is too prominent in my thinking. It adheres to the nodules of my brain. I imagine gluing something together and I sweat. What happened to me?

Snakes glide, not slither. Rats scurry, not run. Lions roar. Birds fly. Paper adheres. What doesn’t belong here?

Rabbits hop. Dogs bark. Cats meow. Phones ring. Countries adhere. What doesn’t belong here?

I will NOT wait for the glue to adhere. I don’t like sticky. Glue is worse than sand on sheets. I have no wish to wait for glue to adhere. I have little patience for it.

Snow adheres to my shoes. It makes a mess. What is good about adhere?

What do you know that adheres that I can like? Identify nothing and I will rest my case.  Adhere will no longer stick with me.  The cure will be mine.

Unless, you make adhere something positive. Go ahead, I dare you.

11 thoughts on “What Does Adhere Bring to Mind?

1. Carole Webber January 29, 2014 / 6:35 pm

For me, adhere would mean keeping the rules.

• fictionfitz January 29, 2014 / 8:19 pm

That’s no fun!

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions January 29, 2014 / 7:05 pm

The person who invented Velcro got the idea from burdocks, which adhere to just about anything.

• fictionfitz January 29, 2014 / 8:21 pm

That’s what I would call a bur?

• sritchie28 January 31, 2014 / 9:29 am

NH Garden Solutions:
      Are you familiar with the seed pods of the Castor Bean plant? They look like burs but do not stick like burs or Velcro. I had some in a pastel lime green bowl in the kitchen for a bit. They were interesting to look at. And the deep burgundy color contrasted beautifully with the bowl. Wish I had known how to preserve them.

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions February 1, 2014 / 8:28 am

I’ve never seen one but I just Googled them and you’re right-they do look like burrs. I like their color!

3. jhvn January 30, 2014 / 8:42 pm

To me adherance is essential. I want the walpaper to adhere to the wall, and the paint to adhere to the house siding – without peeling. Far beyobd Elmers Glue and library paste, I use glue to repair broken chinaware and furniture. If the glue does not adhere, I look like a fool. Epoxy doesn’t take long to adhere. I want government officials to adhere to the laws and the US Constitution; and I strive to adhere to them myself. For A & C, use rubber cement, it’s easier to use than anything else. Good luck.

• fictionfitz January 31, 2014 / 6:21 am

Sounds complicated John, I still don’t like the word, but can share your joys in it.

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist February 1, 2014 / 5:06 pm

Perhaps: adhere = stick and there are many things that you stick to that you enjoy such as reading and writing, its just that you wouldn’t normally say “I’m adhering to writing” where I can imagine you could say “I’m sticking to writing.” There seems to be some subtle difference I just can’t put my finger on. I think you may just have to continue to have it as your nemesis.

• fictionfitz February 1, 2014 / 5:24 pm

I think you are right. As to writing, I say, “I am writing!!”