Address Unknown

There is a good chance that if I ask someone for their address, they will give me an email address. Or, they will ask which one, physical or cyber?

I picked fictionfitz as my email address a long time ago. It is what it is because I did and still do want to write a published fictional story or novel. Fitz represents our town.

Our street address is a house number and a route number. When we first moved into our home twenty years ago, we had no email address. Now we have a street address, a PO Box, a blog address, and at least two email addresses.

In times past, we lived on Palm Drive, thirty-seventh avenue, and at least two addresses I can’t recall without help. The only physical address I owned as me was Palm Drive in Glendale, California. It represented the culmination of making it to the West and buying a first house.

Fowler indicates in Modern English Usage that there used to be commas after the line of a physical address. If you can remember this, you are either older than I am and/or blessed with a much better memory.

8 thoughts on “Address Unknown

1. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist January 25, 2014 / 4:17 pm

I have to admit I still use commas. It just doesn’t feel right to do anything else. In fact I still put the fullstops to denote that road or street has been abbreviated. This was how I was taught in school and I don’t know when it changed (I had noticed) but this is one modernity that I think I’ll probably just pass by.

• fictionfitz January 25, 2014 / 5:19 pm

Good to hear. I wonder how many others will say something similar.

2. Carole Webber January 25, 2014 / 5:40 pm

No, I have adapted to the short forms, skipping commas, etc.
    I did think about it though , I have had twelve addresses in my life. Husband , Pat, has had three.. Maybe that is why I adjust to change better than he,

• fictionfitz January 26, 2014 / 6:23 am

Well, I guess that is true of Susan too.Eventually I came to want one place. A new place, now an old one.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions January 25, 2014 / 6:54 pm

I don’t remember commas ever being used in addresses. I wonder if this winter has you wondering why you ever left California!

• fictionfitz January 26, 2014 / 5:24 am

Maybe one of us, I like the lack of people, no matter the weather. Humans are terrific one on one, but in the millions? I wonder if the commas were more a international method and not prevalent in the US.

4. Marilyn Armstrong January 25, 2014 / 10:59 pm

That comma disappeared while I was in elementary school, sometime around 3rd grade so I never actually had to use it. But it WAS before many other things, like block formats on letters. We had to indent everything!

• fictionfitz January 26, 2014 / 5:25 am

Interesting. Timing is everything?