Only Proper Fears Allowed

I have said many times over that the two things I fear most are nuclear war and arts and crafts. Actually, it is in reverse order because arts and crafts goes on and on Nuclear war coined the expression, “Over in a flash.”

I used to think being sixty some miles from Boston will have us surviving, but recent reads tell me that the current bombs don’t take out cities, but states. I feel much better.

Knowing it will be quick, lessons my fear, but now I find more time to remember other fears. One house ago we had no air conditioning of any kind. Put aside the fact that I detest humidity and could almost fear it, we had a proper cellar. By proper I mean not like the dirt one that encompasses our current house.

In a proper cellar, we could sleep in it any time the humidity became too bad. Even with a walk out, the cellar was pitch black at night. I remember fearing this darkness even with the company of my wife, dog and cat.

Where do all of our fears originate? Do you have unexplainable fears? Or are they all as proper as good cellars and arts and crafts?

11 thoughts on “Only Proper Fears Allowed

1. Carole Webber January 21, 2014 / 12:44 pm

Snakes and lightening storms scare me.

• fictionfitz January 21, 2014 / 3:49 pm

Two good things to worry about.

2. Jane Thorne January 21, 2014 / 12:53 pm

Robert, I need the arts and crafts fear explained?? I think our fears are rooted within our lives, they all have a home somewhere. 🙂

• fictionfitz January 21, 2014 / 4:10 pm

Not sure I can explain it. I remember liking crafty projects in Kindergarten. One with plaster of paris in particular ws fun. Last crafty thin I remember liking. I hated shop, summer camp, etc.

When in graduate school many would say I took assignments calmly, but they were mostly writing assignments. I liked all of them. Then one day a teacher brought in paste and colored paper and glue and scissors. I broke into a cold sweat. I was no longer the cool guy under all circumstances.

• Jane Thorne January 22, 2014 / 5:15 am

Great answer, you are acknowledging your passions and that is all to the good.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions January 21, 2014 / 6:46 pm

Fear is the thing that keeps us from walking up and petting the nice 500 lb black bear in our back yard. Fear of things beyond our control is a waste of time, but certain fears have their place.

• fictionfitz January 22, 2014 / 8:07 am

Great first sentence, can I borrow? I see a short story in it. Also, is there not a little common sense mingling with that fear?

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions January 22, 2014 / 6:16 pm

Yes, feel free. I’d say common sense played a part too, but everyone has fear and not everyone has common sense. Does that mean common sense is learned and fear is in our DNA? I don’t know.

• fictionfitz January 23, 2014 / 4:30 am

Watched show on city wolves last night on Nature, fear in them evolved.

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist January 23, 2014 / 7:35 am

I guess like everything a bit of fear is good, its when it takes over your life that it becomes a problem.

• fictionfitz January 23, 2014 / 9:57 am

Well said, it is what for me is appealing about a long life.