Before Page One

I am trying to convince myself I can write more than non-fiction. The thing is I like non-fiction. So why worry about it? I am not sure I know. The best answer I have is that I like stories. Novels mostly. I write what I think are short stories because, well, they are short. But short doesn’t rhyme with easy.

In the end, I promised myself to forget about  short or long, and label it fiction. My fiction ideas come from experiences or readings. One of my favorite stories, long in progress, is about a fat man jogging, an actual experience.

I have thought about saying instead hefty man jogging, or sturdy man jogging, which he was, but he was Vince Wilfork big. Vince Wilfork plays for the New England Patriots. I would not walk up to Mr. Wilfork and call him fat. This is what I don’t like about my title.

Ann Bernays and Pamela Painter in their book What If  ask writers to make a list of what precedes page one. Maybe this idea of different or other is what precedes the story.  It maybe is a story about other. Those I perceive as different in my life to whom I have made myself standoffish.  Other than this other idea, I am drawing blanks on a list.

Today I am going to work more on what precedes page one. If I get anywhere, I will post.

9 thoughts on “Before Page One

1. jhvn January 14, 2014 / 10:02 am

Could you relax about all your questions and concerns? Then you would be free to write whatever moves you to write, without all the sel-doubt, thinking, and questioning. Writing comes from your soul, not your mind.

• fictionfitz January 14, 2014 / 10:06 am

John, I am often too relaxed. These prompts take me where you often suggest others go. How did I get to this point? Doing this for me is going behind the scene. In what context, did this hefty man appear? Why? In there somewhere resides the story that has only a first chapter.

• jhvn January 14, 2014 / 10:29 am

That sounds like a good exploration of the source of your story. A second chapter may emerge after the first one gets written.

• fictionfitz January 14, 2014 / 10:54 am

It is my hope. Extra credit to working on the first book.

2. SirenaTales January 14, 2014 / 12:09 pm

Ooooo, I like that: what precedes page one. Thanks for the honesty and smiles. Looking forward to what you craft, FF.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions January 14, 2014 / 6:44 pm

“….but he was Vince Wilfork big.” What’s wrong with “Big Man Jogging?” Sounds kind of catchy to me, like “Dead Man Walking.”

• fictionfitz January 14, 2014 / 8:05 pm

great idea, there it was, big as life. Really!

4. Carole Webber January 14, 2014 / 8:08 pm

I think you should stop fretting over fiction or non. You enjoy wriing so why not let the thoughts flow.You do not want to become too academic about style do you ? Relax.

• fictionfitz January 14, 2014 / 8:17 pm

Good advice, but somehow this academic stuff is helping me plow new ground.