Poetry Turned to Prose: For the Elephants

I wanted to write a poem for elephants. This is it turned to prose. It is about me doing my part to save them.

What can we do?

Have you gone to Africa to save them? Have you contributed? So many causes, do they all get as lost as the elephants?

Elephants are in the news, not enough. Because they are dying, plentifully. They used to be plentiful, no longer. This worries me. What are we going to do about it?

What can we do about it? When will we no longer ask and just do?

I wrote in a newspaper column this week about owning new boots. My first pair in New Hampshire after 20 years.  Doesn’t make sense, I know.

But neither does the slaughter of elephants. Do we need to go to Africa? How can we help?

We need to go in great numbers. I will bring my new boots. You can bring a book. We can wear them down. Not the elephants, the poachers.

We need money. We need shots. They need help. Help.

Ideas?

9 thoughts on “Poetry Turned to Prose: For the Elephants

1. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 26, 2013 / 5:56 pm

I feel bad about elephants certainly, but I feel worse about children sleeping in cars in the richest country on earth, and there is only so much one can do.

• fictionfitz December 26, 2013 / 6:53 pm

If u find any good articles on kids in cars, please advise. Like to find out who is doing what.

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 26, 2013 / 8:24 pm

I can’t think of any articles off the top of my head but I’ve known people in that situation. I let a dad and his son stay here with me and my son for the winter a few years back and there are many more like them out there. They don’t always go to homeless shelters. If you ever visit Ashuelot Park in Keene, crossing the bridge and following the path along the river bank will often reveal a few tents.

• fictionfitz December 27, 2013 / 5:35 am

I remember that, been a while.

• fictionfitz December 27, 2013 / 5:39 am

Thanks, good overview.

2. Carole Webber December 26, 2013 / 6:24 pm

Have you read the book “Modoc
    yet? If not, read it after you finish your paper.
    I know it is in your house as I loaned it yo Susan
    It is a quick read.

• fictionfitz December 26, 2013 / 6:51 pm

Good idea, I will make it a January read. Thanks!