AD, Another Acronym that Escaped Me.

Today’s quiz, question one, what does AD stand for when determining a date? For example, today was in the year 2013 AD. We are almost at its end.

I suspect most of you knew that AD stands for “in the year of Our Lord.” So question two, why don’t we say 2013 OL as they are the capitalized letters?

The answer is the acronym is in Latin, not English (aren’t they all?). The Latin is anno Domini. Still, why we don’t get an aD instead of an AD? I don’t know.

Today many say CE. My understanding of why they do so is political correctness. It is culturally neutral. Our Lord is not for everyone. Our Lord is meant to be Jesus and not everyone are Christian. As CE stands for Common Era, I assume it is an era that we all have in common whether we were alive or not.

For me, the thing about Lord is it references a birthdate, or so I thought, which means that 2013 is two thousand thirteen years after the birth of Jesus. BC is before his birth.

Whereas BCE and CE makes no sense in the same sense. Why was there an era before we were common and an era that we are common.

Makes me start thinking which era I would prefer. As a connecting sort of person, I would prefer the common era.

How did we become common overnight? Before common, were we uncommon? Did a ball drop? Can you help?

10 thoughts on “AD, Another Acronym that Escaped Me.

1. neonwalrus December 20, 2013 / 5:51 pm

It’s a punctuation thingy. Some people like the common while others prefer the semi-common. A few even use – – dashes.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 20, 2013 / 8:57 pm

I don’t know where BCE or CE came from but I wish we’d learn to stop fixing things that aren’t broken.

• fictionfitz December 21, 2013 / 6:29 am

Makes me ask what in the garden have we fixed that didn’t need repair?

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 21, 2013 / 7:30 am

Plant breeders intent on bigger and more colorful blooms breeding the scent out of roses comes to mind. What good is a rose without its scent?

• fictionfitz December 21, 2013 / 7:32 am

I guess we can’t just judge a rose by its cover.

4. Carole Webber December 21, 2013 / 4:18 pm

The reference to common era is because not all people living at the time were Christian It indeed is politically correct and avoids offending muslims, hindus, buddhist and atheists,I do not have a problem with it.

• fictionfitz December 21, 2013 / 4:29 pm

It seems to me not much creativity was applied to the replacement name. As u know, I am one who likes a common place,but before, during and after a common era sounds to me more like an error.

5. Carole Webber December 21, 2013 / 6:43 pm

An error is a mistake. I do not see this as such.

• fictionfitz December 22, 2013 / 5:20 am

I see the mistake was in choosing “the committee” who made the choice of the new.