Competition

I don’t think of competition as a socialist term. When I hear the word competition, I think of capitalism. Whatever your leanings, we are all competing, and, get this, we do so even when on one else is playing.

As soon as we wake up, we enter into competition mode. The coffee or tea or orange juice competes with sleeping in. All drinks may compete with each other for our attention. What we are to write today competes with reading. What we read competes with newspaper, Internet, books, blogs.

It just keeps going. It is why we have bucket lists. For me, it is the only way to bring what is most important to the forefront. When writing is on my bucket list, it gathers an importance it didn’t have before. Other uses of my time still compete, but writing now has a star next to it.

I need stars like I need deadlines; otherwise I am too lethargic. I live in the moment. Whatever I am doing right now takes precedent over what I am supposed to be doing. I am like a cat lying in the sun.

It is then I look at my schedule. It points out deadlines of which the bucket list items are high on the list. As deadlines become closer, nothing else can compete. It is then I run on fear of failure. Deadlines serve me quite well.

8 thoughts on “Competition

1. Janet December 17, 2013 / 8:56 am

I think I am like you in that respect. Deadlines make me sit down and work.

• fictionfitz December 17, 2013 / 9:03 am

Yes, and yet I have one right now, but not until Monday. Plenty of time to write 17 pages.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 17, 2013 / 5:36 pm

A friend of mine used to continually bug me about writing a gardening column for the local paper even though I told her I’d be a total failure because I couldn’t write “on demand” and would miss every deadline. I’ve surprised myself by meeting every single self imposed deadline over the last 3 years of blogging.

• fictionfitz December 17, 2013 / 8:57 pm

I didn’t think I would like it either, but I have adopted. And I don’t mean adapted.

3. Carole Webber December 17, 2013 / 8:03 pm

I organize my day with a list, trying to limit myself to three chores. It works most of the time, I do not see that as competition. I am only competitive in Scrabble.
    If I had a paper to do though I would have it completed long before the due date because I want it off my mind not hanging over me.

• fictionfitz December 17, 2013 / 8:56 pm

Never interrupt a plan.

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist December 17, 2013 / 11:02 pm

We lived for a few years in a non-competitive society. I developed a theory that from the minute we are born we have to compete, we have to cry to be fed, we have to cry to be cuddled etc. In this other society babies never had to cry. They were constantly being nursed, fed, cuddled if not by the mother by another extended family member. These kids grew up without a competitive bone in their body and no drive. Give me the competition, goals and deadlines any day.

• fictionfitz December 18, 2013 / 4:55 am

Yes, that other sounds very unlike utopia as much as it may try.