A Position

A position to speak from.  Do you have one? What is your position?

I think most of us would say, “On what?”

Yet, as I write out loud, I am thinking there is a position for all of us that controls all others. If there is, I cannot find mine. Or maybe better said, define mine. Call it our positional Tweet. In 140 characters or less, what is our controlling position?

I have long admired those people who I have met who when they were in their twenties knew their position on anything, but I think I am getting over it. Those once admired are now looking too dug in. Perhaps part of my position is that I believe in two sides to a story, even when my side is one of them.

Am I wishy-washy? Maybe.

12 thoughts on “A Position

1. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist December 14, 2013 / 7:12 am

No I don’t think you are wishy washy. To be inflexible means that you have a closed mind. If you have a closed mind then you can no longer learn, or perhaps even think. Two sides to the story is good.

2. Carole Webber December 14, 2013 / 1:52 pm

When we are in our twenties, we tend to know everything and are very positive about our position, sometimes stubbornly so. As we grow older I think patience and good judgement steps in and we start to realize that there are more than one or two ways of looking at a position.. Listening is the first step to thinking clearly. if our positions change it is not wishy-washy, it is growing up.
    Some never do , but I certainly think you are a grown-up !
    (probably because we are usually on the same position pages)

• fictionfitz December 14, 2013 / 4:25 pm

Thanks for reblog Adam!!

• Adam Hughes December 14, 2013 / 6:47 pm

You are so very welcome 🙂

3. Ann Koplow December 14, 2013 / 5:35 pm

I wholeheartedly support wishy-washy-ness, if it means looking at more than one side of a story.

• fictionfitz December 14, 2013 / 5:45 pm

I am encouraged.

4. reneedeangelo January 1, 2014 / 7:34 pm

I believe in three sides to every story…my side, another person’s side, and the truth (which usually is somewhere in the middle). I enjoyed exploring your blog and look forward to reading more.

• fictionfitz January 2, 2014 / 5:39 am

Thanks, glad you did and I shall try to exceed expectations. It is fun trying.