Inferior Until When?

Alfred Adler, Austrian psychiatrist and psychologist, believed that all children begin with a sense of inferiority. This is because of our dependence upon our parents or parent figure.  It resonates with me. How about you?

Confidence in who I am has taken me a long time.  Not sure I have arrived yet.

Oh, I am confident of many things, but not all. I am beginning to assume “all” is not going to happen.

Adler also coined the term “inferiority complex.” It it is a term that I think of describing our inferiority at the extreme. I might feel inferior about playing football, but my inferiority is case specific. It would not necessarily spill over into my knowledge of books. With an inferiority complex, it would. My inferiority would be about everything.

At the end of a dictionary piece about American Historian Henry Brooks Adams, it reads, “Adam’s letters contain some of his most lucid writing and reveal a man of warmth and sensibility.” If I can adopt this to being a truth in my obituary, I will feel that whatever inferiorities I have had to overcome, I obtained success.

7 thoughts on “Inferior Until When?

1. neonwalrus December 13, 2013 / 10:13 am

One way to understand inferiority or superiority or the truth between is to write your obituary. It will need to be written by someone at some time. It may as well be you. It may as well be today.

• fictionfitz December 13, 2013 / 10:22 am

If I didn’t have a term paper, I might.

• neonwalrus December 13, 2013 / 10:28 am

Let it be a term paper and not terminal for the paper.

2. Carole Webber December 13, 2013 / 1:14 pm

Writing our obit would be a challenge. I would hesitate to tell all the good things I have been involved in as it may appear to be conceit. On the other hand if someone else wrote it I would certainly want to defend where I stood. and why I made some life choices.
    I would definitely finish the term paper first as that would be the end of the Master’s chapter, that could be mentioned in your obit.

• fictionfitz December 13, 2013 / 4:05 pm

I can see the barn.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 13, 2013 / 7:01 pm

I’m not going to know who wrote it and won’t be here to read it, so I don’t worry about it.

• fictionfitz December 14, 2013 / 5:40 am

Most of the time I can think like that; it is those moments I don’t. I think it is fortunate I suffer from Peter Pan Syndrome.