AAOW! Acronymically Dyslexic

Maybe the title should read AAOW! AD. If it did, I would forget it for sure. I can’t remember acronyms. I am sure I am dyslexic in other ways, but as with my allergy from eggplant, AD is the one I have identified.  Figuring out an acronym would not land me on a quiz show. The process takes me too long.

AAOW! is an exception. Probably because I invented it. Also, the exclamation point  brings on drama that enhances the success of my recall. I have written before about AAOW!, but for those of you who don’t know its meaning, I will say it in its entirety. American Association of Whiners and it pronounced like a howl AA OW! as in Ow!, that hurts!!

Some acronyms have migrated to everyday use and become words. As in aids, laser and radar. Can you identify their meaning?

I think the only acronym I have ever heard and remembered is WASP. Partly because I am one. Well almost one,  does Scottish-German count? Or is that WSGP? Not as compelling.

As to AAOW!, let me me know when you find a blog that allows us to rant. Maybe all our blogs do so already.  If so, I grant honorary membership to all  bloggers.

17 thoughts on “AAOW! Acronymically Dyslexic

1. Carole Webber December 12, 2013 / 10:06 am

One of my daughter’s project assignment in Aviation school was to make a list of acronyms used in that field, including the letters designating airports. If you have ever booked travel online, you know what I mean Why is ORD the designee for O’Hare in Chicago” In addition to airports, pilots use a lot of short indications for all manner of operations. Just as well we do not know them.
    I am really bad at determining acronyms and do not like them

• fictionfitz December 12, 2013 / 10:11 am

I like that I guess because of MLC. Misery Loves Company. I have no idea what ORD means and I spent much time there.
      Maybe if I just keep creating acronyms I will eventually “understand”them. Right now IBHU I Better Hurry Up and write 3 pages of my term paper.

2. Carole Webber December 12, 2013 / 11:12 am

Correction, it was my daughter’s project
    PPPP
    Translation :
    Promptly Prepare Paper Pages

• fictionfitz December 12, 2013 / 12:12 pm

I confess, I thought you meant your granddaughter and corrected your comment. I thought you might be succumbing to the O word. Sorry.

3. My life was filled with acronyms before retiring from the Department of Defense. Some days it seemed we were all talking/writing in code and we never had to stop and explain exactly what we meant. In a certain way it was comforting to speak the language as it set us apart but it also alienated others. Every proffesion seems filled with acronyms.

• fictionfitz December 12, 2013 / 12:15 pm

They are impossible to avoid. Oh well.

• fictionfitz December 12, 2013 / 4:06 pm

YIKES, maybe get the last one, and if so, happy u r not too

• Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist December 12, 2013 / 4:09 pm

I’m glad I’m not too, and I miss the time when we were double income with no kids as now being an old age person one just waits and writes and hopes to avoid the last as long as possible.:)

• fictionfitz December 12, 2013 / 4:14 pm

Must be a cloudy day? :>}

• fictionfitz December 13, 2013 / 6:22 am

I like the following from the online Oxford English Dictionary, about what we do, and they call weblog. I found particularly interesting the dates of the quotes supplied.

2. A frequently updated web site consisting of personal observations, excerpts from other sources, etc., typically run by a single person, and usually with hyperlinks to other sites; an online journal or diary.

1997 J. Barger Lively New Webpage in alt.culture.www (Usenet newsgroup) 23 Dec., I decided to start my own webpage logging the best stuff I find as I surf, on a daily basis:..www.mcs.net/~jorn/html/weblog.html. This will cover any and everything that interests me, from net culture to politics to literature etc.
      1998 Village Voice (N.Y.) 8 Sept. 33/3 Jorn Barger’s Robot Wisdom WebLog..might not be pretty, but it’s one of the best collections of news and musings culled from the Web—and updated daily.
      2000 Independent 23 Oct. ii. 9/1 A weblog is simply a site where you post your thoughts whenever the muse strikes.
      2002 Times (Electronic ed.) 14 Jan., There is a way to be stupendously well informed… Scour the highlights in..weblogs

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 13, 2013 / 6:45 am

I didn’t know there was such a thing as a blog in 1997, but I never read one until I statred my own.

4. irinadim December 12, 2013 / 7:41 pm

I hate acronyms, they are a PITN – Pain in the neck- I just invented that. Your acronym is great, it makes sense! 🙂

• fictionfitz December 13, 2013 / 6:15 am

Thanks, by the number of dislike comments regarding acronyms, we may need a new one to depict our
      organizational power.

5. Marilyn Armstrong January 6, 2014 / 10:26 am

Ranting is the blogger’s dessert you get as a blogger. One full rant (any subject) per week. What’s really cool is that other bloggers will join in and help you rant. We live for it 🙂

• fictionfitz January 6, 2014 / 11:51 am

I shall have to become more disciplined.