One Attractive Street

I am told we live on a highway, not a street. General James Reed Highway is one of its names. Because it is attractive, I remain adamant in calling it a street.  I don’t think of highways as attractive.

The thoroughfare of our street is  at least three hundred years old. I am guessing its attractiveness is in part because it maintains the look of an earlier design, a road for horses.

We have lived on it for nineteen years and only once have I seen a horse.  A guy who lived across the street some ten years ago kept two horses fenced in his back yard.  Only later did I discover the fence was electric.

I found this out when one rare day I crossed the road.  I wanted to say hello to man and horse. As I talked to them, my hand stretched out onto the top of the fence. I heard my neighbor shout something as I felt a jolt run through me. It was harmless. I felt foolish.

Not long after, one of the horses became the greater shock.  It escaped. I wish I could have seen it running down the road. I only heard its hooves against the pavement. History being made. I doubt another horse will race this street again.

The horse made its run safely. Maybe it had the timing of a cat with lives to run.  I prefer to think it survived because we live on an attractive street not ready to be tainted with the blood of a horse.

10 thoughts on “One Attractive Street

1. Ann Koplow December 8, 2013 / 9:51 am

Love this post. Thank you.

• fictionfitz December 8, 2013 / 10:05 am

Thanks Ann, liked your recent post on judging, and judging by that, added to of your film recommendations, Shall We Dance and The Story of Film.

• Ann Koplow December 8, 2013 / 10:06 am

I’m so glad you liked my post. I definitely recommend “Shall We Dance?” I’m not so sure about “The Story of Film,” but you and I can both decide about that.

• fictionfitz December 8, 2013 / 10:10 am

Your judgement may become my hesitation.

• Ann Koplow December 8, 2013 / 10:11 am

I understand.

2. Carole Webber December 8, 2013 / 10:00 am

Perhaps what you need is a horse as a new pet. Your horse would love living by the pond, would provide good natural fertilizer for Susan;s garden, and possible transportation from Fitzwilliam to all points east, north , south or west !
    Horses. like Charlie, love to have you speak with them, a great companion. If you had two, Susan could ride with you.
    Safer than polar bears.

• fictionfitz December 8, 2013 / 10:06 am

yes, but I will have to bring in the bear exterminator first, Gordon?

• fictionfitz December 8, 2013 / 10:09 am

And I should add, so people know my intent is not cruelty that I thought of Gordon because I figure he will take the bears back to Alaska or North…..is there a North?

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 8, 2013 / 6:56 pm

Down in Winchester near the tail end of the General James Reed Highway there is a waterfall out in the woods that I’ve been trying to find for a while now. I drove the other end, from Richmond to Jaffrey, twice a day for a couple of years. It used to have a lot of frost heaves in that area.

• fictionfitz December 9, 2013 / 6:22 am

Agree, that stretch is not a winter’s drive.