Special Moments

In Raymond Carver‘s short story “Feathers” Carver describes a special moment for his narrator.

“That evening at Bud and Olla’s was special. I knew it was special. That evening I felt good about most everything in my life.”

Moments like this we all want to feel. Moments like this we look for on special occasions. Moments like Thanksgiving.

From such an optimistic feel, Carver takes the narrator to moments of darkness. How will we ever know whether mountain top experiences lead to bliss or to darkness? I guess we don’t.

Maybe the best we can take from a special moment is the moment. Not try to put it on our wish list.  What say you?

10 thoughts on “Special Moments

1. Carole Webber December 3, 2013 / 11:50 am

I would say savor and save the happy moments in memory, they get us through the darker times.

• fictionfitz December 3, 2013 / 12:53 pm

Much wisdom in that, now if I only can apply it in the next time of lights out.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 3, 2013 / 7:19 pm

We have to come down from the mountain eventually, and when we do we find that nothing can ever really compare with being up there, so in a way it is descending from bliss into darkness. But it’s the darkness that makes the mountain top seem so blissful to begin with, and the memory of being up there makes the darkness just a little brighter.

• fictionfitz December 4, 2013 / 5:28 am

Intriguing closing. But what if we can’t get back to the memory? What if we are forever shut out from the top?

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions December 4, 2013 / 6:36 am

Then I suppose it gets very dark. I wonder about losing memories-losing all the bad memories might be nice, but that seems a small comfort. There is another blogger who recently wrote about his mother who has alzheimers being in her own little world. It is apparently a cheery place, because she is always smiling and laughing. In the end I think it’s one of those life mysteries we can never know.

• fictionfitz December 4, 2013 / 6:45 am

That would be a good place, but then something says to me, not yet.

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist December 4, 2013 / 6:53 am

“Most everyone has known one moment in his life when he felt so good, so thoroughly attuned, that he has been on the point of exclaiming: “Ah, now is the time to die!” What is it lurks here in the very heart of euphoria? The thought that it will not, can not last? The sense of an ultimate? Perhaps. But I think there is another, deeper aspect to it. I think that in such moments we are trying to tell ourselves what we have long known but ever refuse to accept – that living and dying are one, that all is one, and it makes no difference whether we live a day or a thousand years.” Henry Miller in Big Sur and the Oranges of Hieronymous Bosch.

• fictionfitz December 4, 2013 / 8:50 am

I wish I could get my arms around those words, living and dying are one. How do you see it?

• Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist December 5, 2013 / 12:30 am

What I took that to mean is that at either end of the spectrum you have heaven ( perfect/ feel the best it is possible to feel) and hell (really down, things couldn’t be worse). At these times you are dying. They are not of life. The remainder, indeed the majority is life where life goes on with its ups and downs, hopefully being happy most of the time. Just like life is. A combination of the mundane and some pleasant and unpleasant experiences but not those extremes. If you haven’t read it give it a go. I read it when I was 18 and have never forgotten this passage. Two weeks ago I decided it was time to read it again and have got as far as downloading it onto kindle. Can’t wait to start but have to finish Eva Luna first.

• fictionfitz December 5, 2013 / 8:50 am

On my wish list, I had a difficult time refraining from purchase, but just too many books in my Kindle.