Inspirations and Endings

I am convinced I didn’t buy Reading Like a Writer to be inspired, but it is continually doing so. Years ago I went to see a counselor in part because in writing a story I couldn’t get further than a beginning.  I love beginnings.

I have a story due by the end of the day Saturday. I am further along with it than a beginning but I haven’t quite found an ending. Today, as I read more of Reading Like a Writer, I may have received the wrong kind of inspiration as the author provides several wonderful examples of clever opening sentences to inspire my own creations.

While I am convinced my opening sentence could use some work, what I need more is a startling closing sentence. I believe that searching for it will lead me to the clues I need to have a complete story. A story with an ending. A story ready for a class on Sunday.

11 thoughts on “Inspirations and Endings

1. Carole Webber November 29, 2013 / 8:49 am

Seems to me that the middle of the story is important as that is what holds my interest and makes me want to keep reading to the end.

• fictionfitz November 29, 2013 / 9:11 am

Not minimizing the importance of middle, but emphasizing what is difficult for me to write.

2. Lynne Spreen November 29, 2013 / 8:54 am

Part of why I enjoy writing is the puzzle aspect of it. How do I do this while avoiding that? I love the challenge, and with every book I read, I get better at seeing how to do things well. Enjoy your challenge, Bob.

• fictionfitz November 29, 2013 / 9:13 am

I laughed when I read your comment as we have just departed from being with a family who loves jig saw puzzles. I don’t, but hope the puzzles of writing will continue their siren ways.

3. SirenaTales November 29, 2013 / 10:05 am

Well, you’ve crafted a lovely ending for this piece, so your pen obviously knows the way. But I know what you mean, as I find it difficult to know how to end dance pieces….Best wishes on your story, and your process!

• fictionfitz November 29, 2013 / 10:21 am

Thank you, it takes work, right?

4. Kim13 November 29, 2013 / 2:36 pm

Read it as if you were not the writer. What would you want it to say at the end? Just a thought…a simple thought. 🙂

• fictionfitz November 30, 2013 / 7:07 am

A good thought indeed. Reading it one more time before posting to class. Right now. Or should that be, write now?

• Kim13 November 30, 2013 / 9:15 am

🙂

5. jhvn November 29, 2013 / 5:27 pm

I suggest you go for a walk on the beach (if you’re still in CA) in the woods if you’re back home. Walk and observe what you see, hear, smell, and feel, but don’t thnk about the story. The end will likely occur to you.

Perhaps sitting with that Buddha would also help.

Peace, John

• fictionfitz November 30, 2013 / 7:04 am

Good advice, back to walking NH today, almost as good.