Odalisque

Be honest, did you know what odalisque meant? For me it was the first word I looked up in the book  Sin and Syntax by Constance Hale. The first book purchased during my pledge period not to buy books. The word appears on page one of the foreword.

Yes, I slipped, but I am putting it to good use. It was a must buy, Please enable me.

Odalisque has nothing to do with my temporary departure from”I am not buying anymore books” except for producing this post. Or does it? Odalisque per the Oxford English Dictionary is as a noun,

A female slave or concubine in a harem, esp. in the seraglio of the Sultan of Turkey (now hist.). In extended use: an exotic, sexually attractive woman; a representation of a sexually attractive figure in art.

Of course, then I had to look up, “seraglio.” At least you can’t say I was skimming.

Seraglio, I. Enclosure, place of confinement. a. The part of a Muslim dwelling-house (esp. of the palace of a sovereign or great noble) in which the women are secluded; the apartments reserved for wives and concubines; a harem.

Now I see the connection between  the two. Not only to the two, but to my book purchase. You might say my library is a seraglio. Or is it odalisque? Then I think, no, books are not sexually attractive, but they are lures. I probably should not have bought the book. I promise not to buy anymore.

11 thoughts on “Odalisque

1. Carole Webber November 21, 2013 / 10:58 am

In my effort to learn new words “odalisque”is one I could have skipped. Seraglio I have heard before although, I have never used it in a sentence

I do not believe that you are not going to buy more books., they have you trapped.

• fictionfitz November 21, 2013 / 10:59 am

Isn’t it wonderful? I can’t think of anything better to be trapped by.

• Jerry B. November 21, 2013 / 8:30 pm

I agree. If you are going to be trapped or addicted to any one thing, books would be high on my list. Great post.

• fictionfitz November 21, 2013 / 8:54 pm

If only they didn’t cost real money, but then again maybe that is part of the allure.

• Jerry B. November 21, 2013 / 8:57 pm

If only my wife would let me build the new wing of the house to have my library. I am running out of room. Maybe I should make a commitment to not purchase any more books [said as I am counting the nine new books sitting beside me.]

Enjoy the guilty pleasures.

• fictionfitz November 21, 2013 / 9:00 pm

I do, I do. My wife likes everything in its place. My study she ignores, by request. What nine books did you buy?

• Jerry B. November 21, 2013 / 9:12 pm

I am at a training course this week. Most of these are related to business and project management. I did slip in a copy of “Element of Style” and a new Malcolm Gladwell book. I have been juggling three or four books at a time. Translation, I am not finishing reading any of them.

• fictionfitz November 21, 2013 / 9:22 pm

the problem sounds familiar.

• Jerry B. November 21, 2013 / 9:28 pm

If you ever find a solution, please share it to us. We will keep your little secret.

Thank you for the discussion.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 21, 2013 / 6:22 pm

You’ve just illustrated exactly what happened to me when my teacher punished me by making me copy dictionary pages. I found that one word led to another, and then to books.

I just bought 2 more this evening and piled them on top of the 3 that I’m going to read when I finish the ones I’m reading now. If it keeps up I’m going to have to hang a used book sign.

• fictionfitz November 21, 2013 / 8:55 pm

Be sure to give me plenty of notice so I can attend.