Slow or Fast?

Do you prefer to read slow or fast? I eat fast, talk fast, think fast, and drive fast. I am not a fan of meditation. I pray fast. So how do you think I read?

It was not a trick question. I do read fast. Kindle‘s have helped me to even greater reading speeds and this brings me great joy. I still want to read every book in the library.

When I started this blog, its purpose was to offer book reviews. Alas, I found I didn’t like reviewing a book. Once a book is finished, I am ready to move on.

What I do like are slow books. I read them together, simultaneously, and contemplate where they take me. They are frequent initiators of writing out loud. I now have four slow books crawling before me; Reading Like a Writer, Beautiful & Pointless, The Art of Character, and  Story Engineering.  I suspect you will be hearing me reference them from  time to time. I have already.

Reading slow books has helped me be a better, longer listener. I can visit with people for sustained periods without much reference to time.  Especially if the subject is books.

8 thoughts on “Slow or Fast?

1. Carole Webber November 13, 2013 / 10:35 am

Slow down !
    Reread JVN piece about Buddhist meditation, you may live longer.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 13, 2013 / 7:56 pm

I also planned to review gardening books on my blog. In three years I’ve done exactly one book, and I can’t even remember which one it was. I read much slower now than I used to because the blog takes up a lot of time.

• fictionfitz November 13, 2013 / 8:01 pm

Has the blog been worth it?

• New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 13, 2013 / 8:16 pm

Yes, because it makes me read all the scientific non fiction books that I probably wouldn’t read otherwise. I’ve learned an incredible amount in 3 years.

3. jhvn November 14, 2013 / 9:37 am

What bliss do you find from chewing up so many books without digesting them? I learned from my stroke that ageing slows me down, whether I like it or not. Since you are enexorably progressing into geezerhood. I suspect that you will reduce your anxiety and indigestion by enjoying the enhanced perspective revealed by slowing your pace. The “slow food” movement is gaining popularity.You might even gain in quality whqt you would give up in quantity.

Peace,

John C.G. (Certified Geezer)

• fictionfitz November 14, 2013 / 10:12 am

John, it might surprise you that we are on the same wavelength. Read my “skimming” post this morning. I do protest that I am “inexorably” progressing into geezerhood. I will be forever young.

4. jhvn November 14, 2013 / 9:07 pm

Good luck in joining DeSoto in seeking the fountain of youth.

John