Is It Possible?

I love Reading Like a WriterAuthor Francine Prose writes, “I would conduct a reading seminar for MFA  students who wanted to be writers rather than scholars, which meant that it was all right for us to fritter away our time talking about books rather than politics or ideas.”

I have four more classes to attend to complete a masters program. Unlike an MFA, many of my fellow students are striving to be scholars and more than a few don’t like to write.  Our professors are often requesting us to write, and to do so academically. I think this last might be why so many don’t like to write.

Throughout the degree program, I have grown increasingly vociferous over my dislike for scholarly writing. Most of the professors have allowed me to write in my “regular” voice. A few have penalized me. I take the hits when and where they come.

I plan to check Google to see how old Francine is. If still of working age, I want to find out where she is teaching so I can enroll. Then I remind myself  I am only on page ten. Is it possible to love a book and only be on page ten?

6 thoughts on “Is It Possible?

1. Carole Webber November 11, 2013 / 3:55 pm

By academic writing do you mean citing your sources, footnotes, bibliography etc. ?
    This is necessary when using thoughts of someone else. It is a necessary chore.
    You can have your writing fun in creative writing courses where you can express yourself freely

• fictionfitz November 12, 2013 / 5:46 am

No, that is not what I mean. You are going to the details. It is a voice I reference. One that I don’t have or don’t like. Not sure. It is a pontificating voice. A good sermon I hear as instructive even when it is academic. In fact I like it academic. Maybe I like academic writing. I just haven’t found that voice.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 11, 2013 / 6:18 pm

It’s been a long time since the first time but I seem to remember Walden by Thoreau hooking me after just a few pages.

• fictionfitz November 12, 2013 / 5:19 am

Definitely a keeper. Classics don’t always have the hook, but I agree, that one does. Even for us non gardeners.

3. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 12, 2013 / 6:54 am

I know what you mean. I look back on my undergraduate writing and think “boy I was clever back then” but I don’t understand a word I wrote despite the HD. Now in post grad I have a professor who doesn’t hold with that type of academic writing and believes that it is a form of bluff. What really is impressive is a voice that gets the message across effectively to a range of readers.

• fictionfitz November 12, 2013 / 7:07 am

Where can I enroll? I like your professor.