Liking Like Me

Never before did I realize that I liked a particular writing because the writer writes like me. By this I mean they write in my voice. This morning I emailed my spouse part of a blog I liked. (Yes, even though we sit in adjoining rooms, rather than shout back and forth we use email. Once upon a time we used walkie talkies.)

She, rather than emailing back, actually came into my room to visit. Did you write this she asked me. I said no, another’s blog, did you like? Yes, I did she said, he writes like you.

Let me first say I recognize the compliment. I believe I responded with thank you. But never before did I consciously realize writing like me is a reason for enjoying someone else’s writings.

If we were describing thinking, rather than writing, this would disturb me because I like to think I like people who don’t think like me. You might say thinking is a symptom of writing  and I would agree, but voice is an art style. I see a writer’s voice, but cannot mind-read. Voice is on the outside and, as with beauty, it is in the eye of the beholder.

So surely I would like a voice like mine even if we didn’t think alike. I can like eggplant in its presentation without liking eggplant. Never before have I understood this, do you?

10 thoughts on “Liking Like Me

1. matt November 9, 2013 / 9:24 am

No, I have never understood eggplant.

Or a mind, or style, like mine.

Or a cat.

There is so much I do not understand. But I understand that I can look for answers, for what I understand, or understanding.

Or I can forge ahead as tho there is no clock ticking on an mis or aunderstood life.

• fictionfitz November 9, 2013 / 9:27 am

A lesson learned. Questions, always questions.

2. Lynne Spreen November 9, 2013 / 9:30 am

Maybe it’s because of mirror neurons?

• fictionfitz November 9, 2013 / 9:47 am

I think I “like” that.

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 9, 2013 / 6:33 pm

I like everything about eggplant except the flavor, so I can understand that. I took an expository writing class in college where we had to write our own stories in the style of several well known authors, like Hemmingway, John Donne, Steinbeck, etc. It was a tough excersize and I can’t imagine why anyone would purposely try to write like someone else. Having someone try to purposely write like you would be quite a compliment, I think.

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 10, 2013 / 6:33 am

I had not long finished my manuscript to the point it was ready to go out to try its way in the publishing world when I read a book by Nancy Knudsen Shooting Stars and Flying Fish. If I had read it before finishing I would have thought I had copied. The story was different but the voice and structure so similar I thought it was me talking. I enjoyed the book and learnt things I didn’t know about Pacific and Antarctic sea levels but it was a weird sensation and I think I possibly would prefer to read voices that I enjoy but that aren’t mine.

• fictionfitz November 10, 2013 / 6:39 am

Sounds like a path we are both traveling. Is it the one less taken?

5. John Robinson November 11, 2013 / 10:46 am

You must like puns, then, if you like my blog! THANKS for subscribing to TheDailyGraff.com. I hope I can bring you a smile (or at least a groan) every weekday.
    –John Robinson

• fictionfitz November 11, 2013 / 10:54 am

Looking forward to the agonies and the ecstasies’