Fiction or Non-Fiction?

The prior post to this one was a reblog. It referenced the need for an artist to have a world within themselves. I hope many of you write and comment on what this world is like for you.

For many years I have written a newspaper column Moments of Bliss. I believe those blissful writings would best come under the heading of creative non-fiction.

I have enjoyed much pleasure from writing them. By affirming my life experiences through the world within, I also have been affirmed as a writer .

Over the summer I took a creative writing course and received further accolades. I remember saying to my teacher toward the end of the class that I wanted to write fiction. Her response was why do you want to do that when you write creative non-fiction so well?

Why indeed? I have since undertaken a fiction writing class online at NYU. While I continue to receive writing compliments, they come with more critique. Through collaborations with my classmates and professor, I have found there are parts of my fictional attempts that I don’t do so well.

I have also learned from my own “within” experiences that I am seeing bits but not all of a fictional story. While I am not ready to end the quest for a fictional piece, have I learned enough from within to focus on what seems to come on more complete terms, creative non-fiction?

Writing out loud.

10 thoughts on “Fiction or Non-Fiction?

1. Carole Webber November 2, 2013 / 5:12 pm

As we have not seen any of your fiction how do we respond ?

2. neonwalrus November 2, 2013 / 6:31 pm

What contemporary author receives more negative critique amongst the fraternity of authors than (NH’s) John Irving?

Irving writes a great deal of creative non-fiction fiction in his frequent quasi-autobiographical tomes.

The man can write. Who can possibly disagree? Besides his critics, that is.

Write, fictionfitz. Worry not what your readers can do for you. It’s what you can do for you.

• fictionfitz November 2, 2013 / 8:06 pm

I can feel the neon. Thank you Walrus

3. New Hampshire Garden Solutions November 2, 2013 / 7:23 pm

I don’t consider myself a writer but I would think that writing fiction would take practice, just like anything else worth doing.

• fictionfitz November 2, 2013 / 8:06 pm

Good thought! Thanks

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 3, 2013 / 6:55 am

I too struggle with fiction although I like to try. I believe that all fiction is actually non-fiction but put together in a fictional manner. Your characters are people that you know, the places are places that you know. For fiction they may have several places combined into one – but you know them all. Ernest Hemmingway’s fiction was basically a thin veneer for non-fiction and he lost many of his friends as they recognised themselves in his stories. I guess as New Hampshire Garden Solutions said, it takes practice. Creative non-fiction I think is a good way to go (for me anyway) as it gives you the story and then you can make up the dialogue and other creative techniques to make it come alive.

• fictionfitz November 3, 2013 / 7:02 am

Right on! The other day I was thinking of following my instructors advice to concentrate on creative nonfiction. Not only because I can, but because it might be a door to fiction. Likewise for me, poetry is often a door to the prose of non-fiction.

• Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 3, 2013 / 7:08 am

Went to a writing course run by an author who had published a novel size poem telling a fictional murder story. It was made into a talking book and it sold very well – the audience being long-haul truck drivers. So your poetry may also be part of the road to fiction.

• fictionfitz November 3, 2013 / 7:10 am

That feels good to know it works and with not an audience I would have guessed.