Things Familiar

As I was reading this morning, it occurred to me that words of things familiar enhance my connection to the visions of an author. As with real vision, familiar words make me not only visualize a place or time, but feel it, even smell it. I connect completely.

The words that rooted me to my epiphany were “must be the Presbyterian Church.” Immediately a stone church appeared.  As did the street it was on and the people around it. Not in it, but around it. My visual experience was complete and explicit.

The moment captivated me. Present realities went out of focus. I saw the place the words took me,  an experience pleasant and pleasurable. In spite of some less than positive encounters with The Presbyterian Church, those most affirming  triumphed. I felt comfort.

This experience with words of things familiar suggests that my writings should not ignore using them. Recognizing familiarity has the power to connect reader and writer through the power of imagination. Apparently, it is not exclusively authors who experience writing prompts.

7 thoughts on “Things Familiar

1. SirenaTales October 31, 2013 / 11:34 am

Yes, I completely agree. Words resonate. One thing I find intriguing is the way words and their associations resonate differently from person to person–challenging the writer to select words thoughtfully, as well as use other cues to help bridge possible gaps in communication and resonance. I believe this is part of why we feel connected to certain writers–people who communicate with us effectively on a deeper level. Cool post.

• fictionfitz October 31, 2013 / 2:26 pm

I have a psychotherapist friend who read the post and asked me why those words? I am working on an answer.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions October 31, 2013 / 5:06 pm

If you Google “Presbyterian Church” and look at the images a good two thirds of the churches in the photos are made of stone or brick, so assumimg a stone church was Presbyterian seems to be a fair and reasonable assumption.

• fictionfitz October 31, 2013 / 7:47 pm

Most of the ones I have attended concur. I think it is true of Episcopal Churches as well. England, Scotland, stone?

3. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 1, 2013 / 3:54 am

Having grown up the daughter of a Presbyterian minister those words, “must be the Presbyterian Church”, bring my own visions to mind. I think that the reader has to be given the freedom and cues to have their own particular image emerge from the writing. If you are told what you are to see, I think it can really take away from the impact of the piece.

• fictionfitz November 1, 2013 / 5:58 am

Well said. PK you are, eh? Most interesting. Was that difficult for you or inspirational or something other? I wish everyone would read the way you describe. It is why I rarely like book reviews and prefer the “star” approach.

• Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist November 2, 2013 / 1:22 am

My father was inspirational. Daughter of a minister in Australia – difficult most definitely. Something other – that as well, I think it will have to be on my list of blog series as too long for a reply. The main thing is – I’m glad I had the upbringing I had as I believe when I went off the rails it saved me. It also shaped the person that I am and I don’t dislike myself.
        We are all different as far as stories go. I guess the reason I don’t watch much television is because I prefer to let my imagination via the written word take me places that I’m not taken (or conversely don’t want to be taken) to with film.