Accompanist, Accomplice

Accompany me and be my accomplice, put this post aside, walk around the yard, and come back and write these two words on a piece of paper, and then come back to this post. Did you spell them correctly? Took some work for me.

That done, now tell me, are they positive or negative words for you? I don’t want to be an accompanist because that implies music. I didn’t have a lot of success with piano and trombone. Probably because I didn’t like it. Singing maybe. At any rate, accompanist comes close to arts and crafts for me, which scares me to death.

Accomplice should be positive, but I can only think of robbing a bank. Are there good accomplices too? What has been your experience? Geez, I still want to spell it accomplist. I least I have accomplished something today. My spelling teacher would be proud.

6 thoughts on “Accompanist, Accomplice

1. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist October 28, 2013 / 5:22 pm

Interesting. Accomplice certainly has a criminal connotation which I don’t want however it also makes me think of equality. They were both in it together, neither one more important than the other, equally bad together. I like equality.
    Accompanist musical – I like music however, it also makes me think second fiddle, a less important player, an unequal arrangement. I don’t like inequality.
    So which to choose – I ponder on.
    As for spelling, just checked and got a big tick.

• fictionfitz October 29, 2013 / 5:48 am

I take your meaning, hadn’t thought of the equality piece. Interesting and relevant perspective. Thank you Irene.

2. New Hampshire Garden Solutions October 28, 2013 / 7:23 pm

I always want to put an “I” between the P and A in accompanist, though “always” means once in a blue moon. Accomplice never sounds strictly leagal, but I don’t have trouble spelling it.

• fictionfitz October 29, 2013 / 5:46 am

I agree, that is one of my spellings too. Good way to say it, not strictly legal, a good turn of phrase.

3. Carole Webber October 28, 2013 / 8:16 pm

If I was to accompany you to a nursing home visit, I think I would be an accompanist. I as I would be assisting you.
    If I was an accomplice, maybeI would be aiding you in a dastardly deed !
    Hardly possible.

• fictionfitz October 29, 2013 / 5:52 am

Hah, next time someone wants to go to a nursing home, or I ask, I will reference them as my accompanist. But, as someone else commented, this would make you second fiddle. I could never think of you as such, so maybe you should be my accomplice going to a nursing home and we will do many good deeds and take the stigma off of the word. Like Tonto and the Long Ranger???