Helplessness

Helplessness. Not something we seek, but can anyone say it has not happened to them?

I remember an interview I had with a caregiver organization. I wanted to be a caregiver.  After submitting an application, I was told I would be called before a committee of four or five people to answer any questions they might have.

The application asked a lot of helplessness questions. Had I been in jail, done drugs? All stuff I thought of as out of control? I entered the interview confident because I had answered no to all of the “bad” stuff.

The first question the committee  asked was how could I be as old as I am and not have more life experiences? I became a confessional fountain. Only after I destroyed my perfect life as myth was I accepted.

6 thoughts on “Helplessness

1. Lynne Spreen October 21, 2013 / 8:05 am

Beautifully written. Except it should be titled “Confession.” That was the toll, the fee you paid to move to the next step. Like the opposite of The Sin Eater. I hope it was worth it!

• fictionfitz October 21, 2013 / 8:16 am

Thanks Lynn, to kick start me I was reading The Art of Character by David Corbett in which he was suggesting that as authors we be in touch with our helplessness. It took me to confession. I tend to title by what starts me. In the future I will title it by where I land. I will respond to your stories, but have been obsessing over today’s assignment for class tonight. I have to write down the rules for a game named Hinduism and present at class. This must be done for two of the three religions we are studying. Hinduism is too complicated for me. I should have picked Buddhism and Islam, but they come later, and I wanted to put this assignment behind me and reduce my helplessness.

• Lynne Spreen October 21, 2013 / 8:35 am

Good luck, Bob. Sounds like a challenging assignment.

2. SirenaTales October 21, 2013 / 9:27 am

Thank you for the thought-provoking piece…destroying the myth of the “perfect life.”
    Ah, yes. Good luck with your class tonight–maybe rereading your wise piece on “Ambition” will provide solace?

3. Carole Webber October 21, 2013 / 11:29 am

I definitely would be helpless trying to create that game for your assignment.
    Does this seem a bit like arts and crafts to you ?
    We are all helpless in different circumstance in life.That is why we have friends to steer us through.

• fictionfitz October 21, 2013 / 11:42 am

Stress is over. Game rules completed. Will send you a copy. I thought it to be A&C too, but I enjoyed it once I did it.