Rules

How do you like rules? Lift your arm when you eat. Stop. Quiet. Work zone, fines are doubled. Enter. No passing. Don’t enter. Private beach. Closed on Sunday. Back soon. No dumping. One way. Rules of order. No smoking. No dogs allowed.

Some are rules, occasionally protective, other disturbing. Some are laws, others warnings, some are helpful and informative, others painful.

I like to say I am not a rule person. I think that means if the rule doesn’t serve me, I am not in favor. Call that rule number one.

How are you with rules?

8 thoughts on “Rules

1. Carole Webber October 19, 2013 / 7:56 am

I tend to pick and choose my rules I try to honor rules that benefit other people.
    Never have I liked being told what I can and cannot do. Somewhat immature on my part. Some day I may grow up.

• fictionfitz October 19, 2013 / 8:12 am

Maturity can carry a double edged sword.

2. SirenaTales October 19, 2013 / 10:04 am

Rules: so familiar. At times, necessary. In my previous life as an attorney, I could use well my own and others’ comfort with rules. Now I like to question certain rules, especially when they are self- limitations or assumptions I take for granted. Happy to say that when I saw this stimulating piece in my Reader, and thought I would save it for after I do some chores, I declined my rule and read on. And enjoyed! Thank you.

• fictionfitz October 19, 2013 / 1:05 pm

I love reading your comments. Of course, how could I not. Flattery will get you everywhere! BUT not only that, you share something of yourself as well. Thank you for both.

3. David Kanigan October 19, 2013 / 12:09 pm

I am compliant selectively… 🙂

• fictionfitz October 19, 2013 / 1:01 pm

Agree totally!

4. Irene Waters 19 Writer Memoirist October 20, 2013 / 8:02 am

I come from what is known as the nanny state. There are rules for everything and they are aimed at the lowest common denominator – one brain cell. For those with normal common sense most of these are totally unnecessary. Sadly though I grew up obeying rules and I tend to obey them and just complain and write letters. My husband, like you picks and chooses which he’ll obey. It can lead to a lot of stress. I’m so glad we moved to Qld where legislation is less and common sense expected so the rules there are, are easier to follow.

• fictionfitz October 20, 2013 / 8:08 am